Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Behind the name

We have discussed a lot about the meanings of names in class and that made me want to look up my namesake and see where I sat in the biblical name realm. I spell my name Kristopher which seems to be a new variant of the spelling. Within the name Christopher though, there is a deep rooted biblical heritage. I started my search at behindthename.com and found that Christopher comes

"from the Late Greek name Christophoros meaning "bearing Christ", derived from Christos combined with phero "to bear, to carry". It was used by early Christians as a metaphorical name, expressing that they carried Christ in their hearts. In the Middle Ages, literal interpretations of the name's etymology led to legends about a Saint Christopher who carried the young Jesus across a river. He has come to be regarded as the patron saint of travelers."

I mean it doesn't take a genius to see that my name belongs in the Bible, it has "Christ" in it. I looked up St. Christopher on Wikipedia and saw that he was on a mission to serve the greatest king of the world. He started out with a couple of kings and even moved on to the devil until he found out that the devil was afraid of this Christ figure. St. Christopher looked around to try and find Christ so that he could serve him. I also forgot to say that I was ten feet tall in the story. A hermit that lived by the river told St. Christopher that if he was to walk people across these treacherous river that that would be a great service to Christ. Finally one day a child asked to be carried across the river and when he took him across the river began to rage and the child became unnaturally heavy.

"You have put me in the greatest danger. I do not think the whole world could have been as heavy on my shoulders as you were." The child replied: "You had on your shoulders not only the whole world but Him who made it. I am Christ your king, whom you are serving by this work." The child then vanished."

That makes me like one of Jesus's first bodyguards. According to wiki St. Christopher traveled to a new kingdom and began converting pagans to Christianity. Finally after various attempts by the king to have St. Christopher killed there were finally able to get him beheaded. From now on no one can say that I'm not carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment